Sat, Aug 19|
Mathias Fire House
Painting Barn Quilt Squares
Learn to paint your own square
Time & Location
Aug 19, 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Mathias Fire House, 12412 WV-259, Mathias, WV 26812, USA
About the Event
With the guidance of our own Barn Quilt Trail painter, Sharon Music, this class will teach students how to design and paint Barn Quilt Squares. Ready-to-paint wood squares (2 feet by 2 feet) will be provided; these will be ready for marking, taping, and painting. Students should bring 2 -3 small cans of paint (See details below). Feel free to come with design ideas, but we will provide books with quilt blocks to choose from if you like. Kits will be provided for each student to keep. These will include tape, roller handles and rollers, and brushes for each of 2 or 3 colors of paint. Written instructions for painting barn quilt squares (from board prep to finish) will be provided to keep, and tools necessary for drawing quilts, as well as table and floor covers will be provided.
This class will help you learn everything you need to know to paint barn quilt squares. This includes:
- Evaluating appropriate designs for the size and location of your square
- Accurately drawing the chosen design on your prepared quilt board
- Planning a strategy for painting your quilt square
- Taping the design for painting
- Planning curing time for proper drying of paint
· Each student is to bring at least 2 small cans of paint.
- These should be either good quality acrylic latex paint for outdoor use OR good quality interior acrylic latex paint for indoor use.
- These are usually available as samples that cost around $5 each.
- The maximum number of colors is 3 because designs for small barn quilt squares are limited to 2 or 3 colors for optimum viewing. (Too many colors and complex designs “blur” from a distance.)
- The instructor uses Sherwin Williams Resilience Exterior Acrylic Latex Gloss.